Friday, March 25, 2011

The Not-So-Distant Future

I'm a senior in high school, so the whole college and future thing is coming at me pretty fast. Most of my friends are starting to get letters from their top choice colleges, which is incredibly exciting. As for me, I've already been accepted to my favorite school, Harvey Mudd College, which is also incredibly exciting.

The whole college application process is intense and stressful, and I'm so glad to be done with it all. There was the college searching, the standardized test taking, the essay writing, the waiting. And I had to go through it a bit earlier than most of my friends because I applied early decision (which means I apply earlier and find out earlier, but it's a binding decision if I get in) to Harvey Mudd. I received my acceptance letter at the beginning of my winter break, so I've been able to chill and relax since then, which is such a nice change.

Applying early decision was a pretty big choice for me to make because it is binding if you get accepted, but it was definitely the right choice for me. There are so many things I love about the school. When I wrote an essay for the application about why I wanted to attend there, I had a lot of trouble keeping it down to 500 words or fewer. I think what I'm most excited about is the community there. The school is full of people who are absolutely brilliant, creative, quirky, and as passionate about math and science as I am. It's also an amazing math/science/engineering school, which is great for someone like me who loves all of those subjects. And I love the core curriculum there. And the honor code. And the beautiful California sun.

The school is known for being insanely tough, but I'm okay with that. I want to be challenged and pushed to my intellectual limits. I love learning, so I might as well go somewhere I'll be able to do that as much as I can. Perhaps I'll regret this in a few months when I'm drowning in homework, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

For this week, I recommend a band called The Format. They're pretty much one of my favorite bands ever. I don't think I could ever get sick of their music. If you check them out and find that you like them, I suggest looking up fun., which is a band the lead singer of The Format formed after The Format broke up.

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment