Monday, May 16, 2011

Tech, Prom, and Joss Whedon

Hell Week is here! Well, Tech Week, actually, but that's just a technicality (pun somewhat intended). Anyway, my school's Drama Club is putting on a production of Twelve Angry Men (although, really it's Twelve Angry People, because of the female performers, but that's another technicality) at the end of the week, and I am running lights for it (which I'm pretty exited about, I get to wear a headset!). But since this is the week of the play and all, everything is going to be hectic, and I'm going to be getting home at ridiculous hours (I left at 7:45, which is actually an extremely reasonable time for Tech Week [of course, I didn't have to stay to change and hear notes, so I don't know when everyone else left]). Tech Week is always very tiring and full of tension and stress, but it is also wonderful in some ways. It's really a great opportunity to spend time with people I might not otherwise associate with on a regular basis. And while the cast generally has months to get used to one another, typically the crew is only there for one or two week. But even in that short time the people who contribute to each production (in whatever way) start to become a (really effed up) family. I also think helping with Tech form plays and performances is really fun. All of the stress and hard work ultimately pays off during the show (although this is often even more tense and stress filled than the rest of the week, albeit tempered with excitement and happiness and pride and such).

This weekend was also Prom for me, which was pretty fun. I actually only ended up deciding to go to Prom early on in the week preceding it, so I ended up going in an old Homecoming dress. It was an enjoyable time, and I really appreciated the extra time to spend with my senior friends who will, sadly, be leaving soon. I even got to dance with my crush (though only with the prodding of their sister...)! And I went to IHOP afterwards with a bunch of friends and got to wolf down chocolate-chip pancakes while talking about feminism (and Firefly a bit) (this definitely says something about my friends and I; apparently it is perfectly normal for us to have an intense discussion about feminism at 1 in the morning after Prom over pancakes). We (well, the driver) managed to get lost on the way to IHOP, which was fun (if slightly concerning at one point).

Also, I started and finished Firefly (and Serenity as well) this week, which was pretty ruttin' good. I really like Joss Whedon's writing (though, unfortunately, I have been instructed not to watch Buffy, a verdict which I am planning on challenging soon), and am immensely sad that the show was canceled, because it had potential. Though I really wish there were subtitles for the Mandarin. (Oh, for people who don't know, Firefly is a Sci-Fi western about a bunch of [nine] space-traveling outlaws on board a spaceship called Serenity [which is a Firefly model]) I have also started watching Dollhouse, which is ridiculously creepy, but (so far) is also pretty good. And while it's been a while since I've watched it, I should mention Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog which is brilliantly hilarious (and sort of sad, because Whedon likes the Anyone Can Die trope a bit too much). Anyway, I should conclude this messy paragraph by recommending everything mentioned in it (yes, this includes Buffy, even though I have only seen one episode. Enjoy it for me.)

P.S. Sorry for the rambly, spastic nature that I am sensing this post has turned into (or, indeed, started off as). I am trying to keep it short this week, in hopes of getting decent sleep, but I apparently can't do short (without a bunch of parenthetical asides) and poor transitions. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. I will now stop thinking aloud (or through text, whatever. Technicality).

No comments:

Post a Comment