Thursday, May 19, 2011

Eurovision

I think I should explain Eurovision, 'cause one of my American friends, didn't know what it was. All European countries makes a contest in each of their own country a few months before the big finale. During the "audition", the viewers votes for those they want to represent their country at the finale.
The finale is a two months later, or so. It's a HUGE thing in Europe, loads of people fly to the place it's held (the previous year's winner's country gets to host Eurovision) and then all the countries perform, then voting, entertainment, reveal of the votings and then the winner is found, where they go to stage and perform their song again. Then end credits.

I normally stay away from Eurovision Song Contest, but I thought it was funny to look at my Twitter Feed at the same time (which is why I ended up watching the entire thing)

And that made me think about how Europe comes united that one night. People cheer and have oads of fun with their family and friends, singing along, cheering for the good ones, and laugh at the bad ones, and make fun at the really bad ones. It's a lovely 3 hours, and loads of fun. If you don't believe me, you should all watch Moldova's entry this year. Oh, and while you're there, you should check out the Danish one this year. It's actually good. And by actually, I mean, sometimes it's really rubbish.
We've sent a drag once, with the song "I'm your dramaqueen tonight"... I think it speaks for itself. I'm not opposed to drags at all, but I can't believe Denmark were watching ESC a couple of years ago and thought "hmm, this song is the best out of ten... Or, at least, we'll have a ball, and Europe will find it amusing" (It worked, we reached semifinal)

This year, Azerbaijan won. It is a small country in the Eastern Europe. And because so few knows where that is, it sounds a bit like, that we don't care.
The songs are easily forgotten, admitted. But when we unite as a continent, we must remember, that making "too much fun" where it just ends up being hated. Of course, it can be done classy, as long as it's nice. But why unite, if we unite as in "you and me, vs. them"

It would be lovely, if Europe, over the next years of Eurovision would come together and just have fun, as we're supposed to. And make better songs.

Rebecca, I hope your prom was as much fun as it sounded like, and good luck on Tech Week, which I still haven't got a clue, what is about.

My recommendation this week is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It was witty, weird (good weird) and I personally like stories, where the main character changes.

DFTBA till next week

No comments:

Post a Comment