Monday, June 13, 2011

Zoos! (Fake Enthusiasm)

You know what I'll never understand?  Why people love the zoo so much.  I suppose I might have liked it as a kid, but as far as I can remember, the most fun I've had at a zoo was at the petting zoo and in a butterfly house.  I like animals out where I can touch them, or be close to them, and while I don't think I'd necessarily want to be within touching distance of, say, a lion, it also doesn't seem particularly entertaining to just stand there and watch them lie around looking sad.

Maybe this is the 'animal rights' 'activist' coming out in me, though I don't normally consider myself an animal rights activist.  (Though I am a vegetarian, but that's a blog entry for another day, I think.)  It just seems unbearably mean to take an animal from their natural habitat and place them in a cage, or a glass box.  Of course, many animals in zoos were actually rescued animals, so i hardly want to accuse zoos of mass cruelty.  It just seems like an incredibly boring life, and an incredibly boring way to spend the day.

I bet the people who work at the zoos (presuming they like animals of curse) do actually have a lot of fun though.  I think it must be incredible to work with animals all day.  And while this is not something I plan to do, or even want to do with my life, I do feel a bit jealous of people who get to work with animals for a living.

And in keeping with my theme, I'm going to recommend the book The Nature of Jade.  The book features a main character who loves watching the elephants in the nearby zoo, and (possible spoiler?) eventually begins working with them.  That isn't what the book is about, but regardless, it is a beautifully written story and I really enjoyed reading it.

P.S.  Who else loved the Doctor Who mid-season finale?

No comments:

Post a Comment