Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Heroes

I obviously have a terrible memory.  I meant to update yesterday, I swear!

Anyway: let's talk about Heroes. Or just people that I look up to, whatever.

1) J.K. Rowling: I have to say, aside from my family, Harry Potter has been one of the most consistent parts of my growing up (actually, it might be more consistent than my family).  The presence and dependability of it always being a story I'll enjoy, with characters that I love has been a comfort at times.  Rowling's series has touched me so much, that it really cemented my dream of one becoming an author.  Of course, I might have wanted that before reading the series, and I was definitely an avid reader before I began them, but the level to which Rowling's writing and the world she created was able to draw me in was a real inspiration to my third grader self, and continues to be to my senior-in-high school self today.  Plus, JKR is pretty cool in general.

2)  Sherrod Brown: Brown is an Ohio Senator, and in my opinion is rather awesome.  I've had the opportunity to meet him before, though I was a little kid, but he was very nice.  In fact, I think that might be the thing that sets him apart from a lot of other politicians: he's nice, and he seems to be genuinely honest.  That's refreshing in a politician, especially what seems to be his genuine appreciation and caring of his constituents.  Brown is a person who almost makes me want to be a government official.  But honestly, I don't think I'd fit in.

These are the two that immediately come to mind that I can actually find a fair amount of words to talk about.  Other authors come to mind, particularly Alice Walker and Toni Morrison, and, of course, John Green.  Nellie Bly, the investigative journalist is rather badass, and I suggested reading about her, because she was really cool.  And also Rachel Maddow, who I deeply admire and would totally love to work for/intern for someday, if at all possible.  There's also the feminists Gloria Steinem, Jessica Valenti and Lucy Stone (though Stone would probably count more as a "suffragette").  Steinem started Ms. Magazine, another place I think it would be cool to work/intern at.  There's also my seventh- and eight-grade English teacher who set me on the path of being interested in journalism, and aspiration that the above mentioned Rachel Maddow has only perpetuated.

I think it's important to stop and think of the people who have influenced us, or that we look up to.  Even if it's an incredibly cheesy thing to say/do.

My recommendation is the film The Hours, it's also a book, about Virginia Woolf and her novel Mrs. Dalloway. But as I've never actually read either book (though I do intend to), the movie is what I am suggesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment