Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Umm...Oops?

So, after getting home two hours after school gets out, accidentally conking out and taking a ridiculously long nap, doing physics homework, eating, doing the dishes and reading two chapters of Beloved for English, i completely forgot to write a blog post. Though, in hindsight, if I had remembered, I probably would have just gone to sleep anyway, as by the time i did get to sleep last night it was past 2 am. Which is why I'm posting an entry today rather than yesterday.

Anyway, so Jonathan proposed the topic of make-up in his post last week, and so that's what I'm gonna talk about

I personally don't wear makeup, because it takes too long (even if it's only ten minutes -- in the morning every extra minute of sleep is a plus) and I don't find it necessary. I do own makeup, from years when I used to wear mascara to school, and also because I wear makeup to dances most of the time. On the rare chance that I do wear makeup it's usually eyeshadow, mascara, and eyeliner, possible foundation and concealer. The only thing I ever put on my lips is chapstick (or any other product whose sole function is to un-chap your lips). I generally use more eye makeup than anything else, because I like my eyes, and like drawing attention to them, but I tend to keep the makeup less dramatic.

In terms of what I find, aesthetically to be too much? When people are wearing makeup and I can't tell, it normally is helping in subtler way than fanciful makeup, such as brightening the skin, covering pimples, of lightening bags under the eyes. There's one girl in my grade who wears her makeup for essentially this purpose, so when she doesn't wear makeup it is really noticeable and she looks tired and sometimes sickly (though, this is also probably why she didn't putting it on to begin with). So I think that's a potential problem of wearing makeup consistently. When someone's makeup is dramatic to the point that it looks costume-y (like looking at someone wearing stage makeup up close) or like they're a different person, I generally find it unattractive. I also think that "too much" makeup can often look haphazard or cheap sometimes. But, ultimately, it's not my face and I don't really care.

Really, what I hate is the idea that people feel as though makeup is going to make them "prettier", or that people feel like they need to feel prettier period.  Even though makeup can often look really cool and artistic, and can often highlight nice facial features, I think most people look just as pretty, if not prettier without makeup than with makeup.

Recommendation: the 2010 film production of Hamlet by the Royal Shakespeare Company. David Tennant and Patrick Stewart are amazing in it (I can't think of a time when I've been unimpressed by David Tennant, though). I would also suggest watching it with subtitles, because sometimes it's hard to catch exactly what's being said.

No comments:

Post a Comment